How to be an UNSUCCESSFUL Presenter & Sales Person
Have you every thought why you only succeed in around 1 in 10 of your Sales Discussions..?
Do you LIKE being an unsuccessful sales person..?
Probably not – so lets just do a quick review…
Two indisputable facts:
1. An audience’s concentration drops during a presentation
2. Presenter’s usually put their key messages towards the end
In other words; we usually discuss key messages when our audience has switched off..!
And it’s not just presentations. People usually put key messages at the end in all sorts of situations:
- Case studies often start with background information (boring) and end with the results (interesting)
- Directors often explain the rationale behind their new vision first (boring), before outlining the benefits the vision will bring (interesting)
- When selling, companies often describe their process first (boring), ending by saying “it will save you £millions” (interesting)
- The top bullet points on slides are often the most boring (“Founded in 1922”, …and your point is?)
Even people who make their decision based on detailed information will switch off through boredom unless you engage with them at an early stage…
Flip your communications. Put your most critical, interesting and relevant messages first, not last. The rest of your communication then reinforces them.